Thursday, February 21, 2013

10 Minute Blog : Simplicity


I have two philosophy classes with the same professor. (I don’t know if this is a good thing… quite yet.) However, today I felt that it might be good. During ethics, we talked about the philosophy school of Stoicism; which was sort of like accepting things as they come because of determinism (I instantly thought about Calvinism) and only caring for things that are both natural and necessary. Later, in American Philosophy, we were reading Walden by Henry D. Thoreau in which Thoreau is writing about a two year and two month project where he left civilization and only cared for the extreme necessities of life. During class discussion, we were talking about materialism and what we thought about it and it seemed to me that some people didn’t want to acknowledge that the term was bad (makes this even sadder). I personally think that materialistic people are sad. I feel bad for people who are consumed by materialistic things. I’ve heard some people say that they are living a “minimalist” lifestyle but only because they don’t have the resources to pamper themselves and indulge in things that will temporarily make them happy. So, they aren’t doing it by choice, they’re basically enslaved and bitter.

Getting my MacBook Pro stolen last summer taught me a lot.

My goals in life are to teach and tell my students about Jesus

or

live in an RV, travel the world and tell the world about Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment